Tuesday 19 April 2016

Mock Cream Recipe (School Dinners in the UK)

Did you have school dinners in the UK?

If so, do you remember the 'mock cream' we were given on/with desserts?  Well, I've just found the recipe for this that my mother gave me years ago.   It tastes exactly as I remember.  The recipe does call for overnight refrigeration, so bear this in mind if you decide to have a go at it.

Mock Cream

Ingredients:
8oz (200g) dried skimmed milk powder
Half pint (250ml) water
2oz (50g) caster sugar
Half teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
In a heatproof bowl, mix the milk powder into the water, and cook over a saucepan of boiling water until thick, stirring now and again (15-20 mins after the water comes to the boil).

Keep in the refrigerator overnight, covering the surface closely with damp parchment (or greaseproof) paper to prevent a skin forming.

Next day, whisk the cream with the caster sugar until thick and creamy.  Add the vanilla extract.




3 comments:

Alix_iar said...

Thank you, thank you I’ve been looking to see if I could find out how the cream was made, loved desserts at school especially the cream lol

Alix_iar said...

Hi, really disappointed I thought it was strange in the items needed there wasn’t anything to thicken the cream but made it up as you stated and it was nothing like the cream it was runny and nasty sorry

Unknown said...

I have been looking for this recipe for so long thank you